Clemson signee Kier Meredith is facing a critical decision that will impact his future after the being selected in the 2017 Major League Baseball Draft on Wednesday.
The Winston-Salem, N.C., standout, who hoped to go on Day 2 of the draft, was surprised when he was drafted with the 28th round by the Chicago Cubs.
“I was shocked. I wasn’t expecting it to be honest so when it happened I was just like, ‘Hey awesome.’ They showed a lot of interest throughout the entire process,” Meredith told The Clemson Insider on Thursday.
The big question is will Meredith enroll at Clemson later this month or sign with the Cubs.
“I honestly have no clue at this point,” he said.
Meredith entered the draft with a number in mind for him to sign instead of going to Clemson and he told us he does not plan to sign if the Cubs don’t hit that number.
“I don’t want people to think I’m settling and I’m going to sign for 28-round money or any of that. I’m not, if I sign it’ll be a reasonable amount, something that my family and I are happy with,” said Meredith.
Is it safe to say Meredith is struggling with his decision?
“Very safe to say,” he replied.
What had Meredith told the Clemson coaches the past few days about his plans?
“That I will get back with them in a few days. I have time to speak with my parents and my camp and just talk about everything,” he said.
The elite outfielder knows he can compete with the best, but isn’t sure if heading to Clemson will definitely increase his draft stock in a few years.
“I don’t know,” he said. “The draft is weird and sometimes things that you can’t control factor where you fall like size, etc. I believe that my talent level was overlooked and a lot of people slept on me because of things I can’t control. So I have to go out and show everyone what I’m all about and that I can play and compete with the best of the best. I thought I did a good enough job of that this past summer/fall but I guess not.”
Who is helping Meredith with his decision?
“My parents and my adviser,” he said.
Meredith plans to let the coaches at Clemson know in the next few days if he will enroll later this month, but if the right contract comes along he could still sign with the Cubs.
“As far as summer school goes yes,” he said. “I could report to summer school for a few weeks and get a phone call July 15th from the Cubs telling me they have the money to sign me and I would just leave Clemson and begin my career then.”
If Meredith enrolls at Clemson and plays for the Tigers he plans to give his all.
“I will be really excited. I will get there and be ready to work, ready to reach Omaha. I will give Clemson everything I have in me and leave everything on the field, in the classroom and in the weight room,” he said.