By Staff Report.
CLEMSON, SC – The Clemson women’s basketball team will open the ACC portion of their 2010-11 slate at NC State (8-6) on Thursday night in Reynolds Coliseum. Clemson (7-8) is coming off a win against North Carolina A&T on Monday night, in which they shot a season-high 51.9 percent from the field.
Clemson is 20-13 all-time in ACC openers, and this will be the ninth time the teams open with one another to start conference play. The Tigers and Wolfpack split game last season, with Clemson winning, 69-56 at home and NC State winning, 59-54, in the ACC Tournament.
It will be the first ACC game for head coach Itoro Coleman. Clemson head coaches are 2-1 all-time in their ACC debuts.
The Lady Tigers have played six of the last eight away from home, and have already played some stiff competition leading up to conference play in #2 Baylor, #18 Georgetown, and #23 Syracuse.
This will be the 78th all-time meeting between the schools, and NC State holds a 48-29 lead in the series. The 78 meetings are the most for any Clemson team in program history.
Clemson Lady Tigers (7-8) vs. NC State Wolfpack (8-6)
Date: Thursday, Jan. 6, 2011
Time: 7:00 PM ET
Location: Reynolds Coliseum – Raleigh, NC
Radio: WCCP-FM 104.9 (Dan Scott, Kanetra Queen)
Live Video: GoPack.com
Quick Clemson Notes:
· Head Coach Itoro Coleman is in her first season as a head coach. The 2000 graduate of Clemson was most recently at Penn State
· Clemson will open its 34th season of ACC basketball against NC State. Clemson is 20-13 in all-time ACC openers
· The Tigers have met the Wolfpack 77 times on the hardwood, more than any other opponent
· This will be Clemson’s fourth game out of the last five away from home
· Defensively, Clemson has held seven opponents to 58 or fewer points this season, a feat they accomplished only four times all of last season
· The Tigers rank 3rd in the ACC with a 5.1 blocks/game average
· In the last outing, Clemson shot a season-high 51.9% and had season-bests in blocks (11) and steals (14)
· Senior Jasmine Tate ranks 12th in the ACC with 7.6 rebounds per game; she has hit double-digits in rebounding five times this season
· Bryelle Smith leads the ACC in minutes/game and ranks fourth in assists/game
· Sthefany Thomas needs three 3-pointers to move into fifth in Clemson history in career 3FGM
· Senior Kirstyn Wright has career-highs in scoring, rebounding, assists, steals, and ranks fifth in the ACC in minutes/game. Over the last three games, she is averaging 18.3 pts, 5.3 ast, 4.7 reb, and 3.0 stls