Is this the year? Will the streak finally end? Coach Brad Brownell will see if he can do something no other Clemson coach has ever done Tuesday night, get a win in Chapel Hill.
The Tigers are fresh off a 25 point win over Georgia Tech, the same team that whipped the Heels by 20 on Sunday in Atlanta. The Heels will play for the third time in five days, while the Tigers come in with a week of rest.
North Carolina has struggled at guard this season, while that has been one of the strengths for the Tigers. Demontez Stitt hopes to go home to North Carolina and lead the Tigers to one of the biggest wins in their history if they can end the 54 game losing streak at North Carolina.
Clemson will have to stay out of foul trouble to be able to end the streak. Grant and Booker will have to bring their A game, especially on the boards. The Heels rank third in the nation in rebounds.
It won’t be easy as North Carolina will be trying to rebound from a poor performance on Sunday, but this may be the best chance for a Clemson win in a long time.
Site: Smith Center (21, 750)
Date: Tuesday, Jan. 18, 2011
City: Chapel Hill, NC
Time: 8:00 PM
TV: Raycom (Tim Brant, Dan Bonner)
Radio: Clemson Tiger Sports Properties
(Pete Yanity, Tim Bourret)
Overall: North Carolina leads 122-20
at Chapel Hill: UNC leads 54-0
at Smith Center: UNC Leads 23-0
at Clemson: UNC Leads 35-16
at Littlejohn: UNC Leads 26-13
at Neutral: UNC Leads 33-4
First Meeting: UNC 48-24 in 1025-26
Last Meeting: Clemson 83-64 at Clemson, 09-10
Streak: UNC won 10 of last 11
• Clemson enters this game on an eight-game winning streak, the longest active streak by an ACC team.
• North Carolina has won 10 of the last 11 meetings in the series, but Clemson won last year, 83-64 at Clemson. It was Clemson’s largest victory margin against the Tar Heels since 1976-77, Tree Rollins senior year.
• Jerai Grant has scored in double figures in a career high 10 straight games and has averaged 15.5 points per game during that stretch.
• Clemson is on an eight-game winning streak, its longest winning streak since the Tigers won 16 in a row to open the 2008-09 season.
• Grant has moved into first place on Clemson’s career field goal percentage list with a .614 figure. That includes a .640 figure so far this year.
• Clemson is coming off one of its best shooting games in school history. The Tigers made 27-39 shots from the field for .692 in the win over Georgia Tech, the best field goal percentage in school history against an ACC team. It was fourth best overall. Clemson made 11-14 three-point shots, including 9-9 on three-point shots in the second half. Clemson was 17-20 overall from the field in the second half, the second best half in Clemson history.
• Clemson has held each of its 17 opponents this season under 50 percent in field goal shooting, the longest streak for the program since 2007-08. Clemson held the first 17 opponents under 50 percent that year. Opponents are shooting .400 overall against Clemson from the field for the year.
• Clemson leads the ACC in field goal percentage (.517), three-point percentage (.474) and free throw shooting (.841) in conference games this year.
• Demontez Stitt has posted double figures in 13 of his last 14 games and has made 10-14 three-point shots in ACC play.
• Andre Young has made at least one three-point goal in 18 straight games, including all 17 this season. He is shooting .425 from three this year.