Lady Tigers Tip Wake

Lady Tigers Tip Wake


Lady Tigers Tip Wake


By Staff Report.

WINSTON-SALEM, NC – The Clemson women’s basketball team won their second ACC road game of the season, overcoming a ten-point second half deficit to win, 77-73 in overtime against Wake Forest (10-11, 1-4 ACC) in Winston-Salem. The Lady Tigers (9-12, 2-4 ACC) shot a season-high 54.0 percent from the floor, including 17-28 in the second half and overtime. 

“We tried not to concentrate on the score,” said head coach Itoro Coleman. “We cut down on our turnovers and good things happen. It was important for us to get stops. Once we got stops, we were able to make runs.” 

Eight Clemson players registered six or more points, led by Shaniqua Pauldo’s 18 (9-13 FG), Jasmine Tate’s 11 (4-5 FG, 3-4 FT), and Bryelle Smith’s ten (3-4 FG, 2-3 3FG, 2-2 FT) off the bench. Clemson won despite 30 turnovers, 19 of which came in the first half. The Tigers were efficient form the floor, hitting 22-34 (.579) inside the arc. 

“It was important because Wake played a zone a majority of the game, and once we got past that top line and got the ball to the middle, we got some good looks. We got some good shots in the lane, and that came from our posts and our guards,a nd I thought we did a really good job of getting into the lane tonight.” 

The Lady Tigers also outrebounded the Demon Deacons, 43-35, and held the Deacs to 36.0 percent shooting. Lindsey Mason tied a career high with nine boards, while Chancie Dunn had seven points and eight assists in 39 minutes in her first career start. 

Pauldo had come off the bench the previous ten games, but responded with a big night in Winston-Salem, as the Lady Tigers improved to 9-1 against teams from the Carolinas. The Tigers are 2-2 on the road in North Carolina, having defeated NC State in the ACC opener. 

Five Demon Deacons hit double-figures, led by Lakevia Boykin’s career-high 22 (8-15 FG, 5-11 3FG, 1-2 FT). 

Clemson jumped out to an early 9-4 lead at the first official timeout, but Wake responded with a 22-4 run, taking a 26-13 lead behind hot shooting from Lakevia boykin, who had 17 first-half points and nailed four threes. The sophomore entered averaging 9.1 points per game, but was just one shy of her career high in the first frame. 

Clemson’s main answer was Shaniqua Pauldo, who earned the start after posting 21 points and 10 rebounds in the last contest. She had 12 points and five boards, both team-highs, in the first half. No other Tiger scored more than four, despite shooting 45.5 percent and outrebounding the Deacs, 22-14. Clemson committed 19 turnovers, and was outscored 22-2 off those mistakes. 

Clemson came out fast in the first two minutes of the second half, going on a 9-0 run to close the gap to 37-35 with 18:02 to play after a three from Wright, a pair of free throws from Tate and two fastbreak layups. Clemson cut it to one at 38-37 on a driving Tate layup, but Wake scored the next seven to put the lead up to 45-37. 

Wake looked as if they may pull away, taking a 56-46 lead with 10:10 to play, but the Tigers weren’t done fighting, scoring the next 14 points. Clemson regained the lead at 57-56 on a nifty feed from Dunn to Tate. The Tigers then got a big defensive stop, forcing a shot-clock violation, and then Dunn then found Mason for an and-one, and the Tigers stretched the lead to 60-56 with 4:28 to play. 

The Deacs took a 61-60 lead on a Chelsea Douglas three, but Shelton hit two free throws to put Clemson ahead with 1:30. Brittany Waters had a put-back layup to give the Deacs a 63-62 lead with 32.5 seconds to play. Thomas was fouled on the next possession, and hit her second free throw to know the score at 63-63 with 17.1 to play, giving Wake the final possession. Brooke Thomas’ floater sailed long and Tate grabbed the board, sending the game into overtime. 

Clemson struck first, taking a 69-65 lead on a Smith three on a good feed form Mason. Dunn then hit a runner with 1:38 left, but Watters hit a three to pull within one at 71-70. 

The Tigers went in to Pauldo, who converted to put Clemson ahead 73-70. Douglas then stepped on the sideline, giving the ball back to Clemson with 45.9 to play. Clemson turned it over, but Dunn stole it back and was fouled with 22.1 to play. She stepped to the line and hit the second, giving Clemson a 4-point lead. The Tigers then were tied up on a rebound, but gave it back one a steal with 10.7 to play, up 74-70. 

Douglas hit a three from 28 feet to pull within one and the Deacs fouled Wright with 6.9 to play. Wright hit the first but missed the second, and the Tigers grabbed the rebound. Smith hit a pair of free throws with 2.2 second to play to ice the game, 77-73. 

Clemson will return home before traveling back to Durham for a Wednesday night game at Cameron Indoor Stadium and top-five Duke.


More The Clemson Insider