By Staff Report.
Clemson, SC—Clemson junior Corbin Mills is sixth in the latest United States Amateur rankings according to Golfweek. Mills has 3200 points in the rating system that ranks the top amateur players in the nation and the world based on recent amateur events. Mills’ world ranking is a career best 12th place. He was not in the top 100 when the summer began.
Mills is attempting to make the 2011 United States Walker Cup team that will compete at Royal Aberdeen inScotlandSept. 10-11. Four of the 10 players on theUnited Statesteam have been selected and the remainder of the squad is expected to be named this month. The last Clemson golfer on the Walker Cup team was current PGA Tour member Kyle Stanley in 2007.
Mills has had a terrific summer as he won the US Public Links Championship in Oregonin late June, then won the Players Amateur in Bluffton, SCthe very next weekend. He also finished fourth at the Palmetto Amateur, 16th at the Monroe and 18th at the Western Amateur.
Below is the United States Top 10 Amateur Ranking
(Source, GolfWeek Magazine)
1. *Peter Uihlein Orlando,FL OklahomaState
2. *Patrick Cantlay Los Alamitos, CA UCLA
3. *Harris English Thomasville,GA Georgia
4. John Peterson Fort Worth, TX LSu
5. Patrick Rogers Avon, IN Stanford
6. Corbin Mills Easley, SC Clemson
7. *Russell Henley Macon,GA Georgia
8. Max Homa Valencia,CA California
Nathan Smith Pittsburgh,PA AlleghenyCollege
10. Paul Haley Dallas,TX GeorgiaTech
*Already named to US Walker Cup team