Clemson opens the Diamond Head Classic Thursday afternoon when they battle UTEP.
Site: Stan Sheriff Center (10,300)
Date: Thursday, December 22, 2011
City: Honolulu, Hi
Time: 2:30 PM EST
Radio: Clemson Tiger Sports Properties (Pete Yanity – play-by-play, Philip Sikes – color)
TV/Web: ESPNU/ESPN3 (Roxy Bernstein – play-by-play, Doug Gottlieb – color)
Teams: Auburn, Clemson, Hawaii, Kansas State, Long Beach State, Southern Illinois, UTEP, Xavier
Overall: UTEP leads 3-1
at Clemson: None played
at Littlejohn: None played
at UTEP: UTEP leads 3-1
at Neutral: None played
• Clemson and UTEP will play for the fifth time Thursday, but the first time since 1982-83. UTEP leads the series 3-1 with all four games being played between 1963-83 in El Paso.
• The Tigers are playing in a regular season tournament in Hawaii for the sixth time. The Tigers were 8-4 in the former Rainbow Classic and 2-0 in Hawaii Pacific tournament. This is the Tigers first appearance in the Diamond Head Classic.
• Clemson has won 25 regular season tournaments over the years. The last win came in 2008 in the Charleston Classic.
• Clemson’s has a 16-15 record agains the other teams in the tournament.
• The 9:30 AM local tip is the second earliest ever for the Tigers.
• Bryan Narcisse and Tanner Smith both earned their undergraduate degrees this semester.
• Smith has scored a career-high 17 points in regular season tournaments in each of the last two years.