By Staff Report.
Five Atlantic Coast Conference teams are among the 16 Regional site hosts for the 2012 NCAA Division I Baseball Championship, as announced by on Sunday afternoon. Atlantic Division champion Florida State , Coastal Division champion North Carolina , Miami , NC State and Virginia will all be at home as play gets under way this Friday (June 1).
The ACC’s five selections as site hosts lead all conferences. With Georgia Tech earning the league’s automatic NCAA bid by virtue of winning the ACC Championship on Sunday, the ACC is assured of having at least six teams among the complete 64-team field, which will be announced on Monday at noon (ESPNU). Four other conference teams – Clemson , Maryland , Wake Forest and Virginia Tech – were ranked among the top 37 of the most recent NCAA RPI report.
The NCAA Division I Baseball Committee announced the 16 regional sites for the 66th annual NCAA Division I Baseball Championship.
The 16 regional sites, with host institutions and records (through May 26) are as follows:
- Baton Rouge, Louisiana – LSU (43-16)
- Chapel Hill, North Carolina – North Carolina (44-14)
- Charlottesville, Virginia – Virginia (38-17)
- College Station, Texas – Texas A&M (42-16)
- Columbia, South Carolina – South Carolina (40-17)
- Coral Gables, Florida – *Miami (FL) (36-20)
- Eugene, Oregon – *Oregon (42-16)
- Gainesville, Florida – Florida (42-18)
- Gary, Indiana – Purdue (44-12)
- Houston – Rice (40-17)
- Los Angeles – *UCLA (41-14)
- Palo Alto, California – *Stanford (37-16)
- Raleigh, North Carolina – North Carolina State (39-17)
- Tallahassee, Florida – Florida State (43-15)
- Tucson, Arizona – *Arizona (37-17)
- Waco, Texas – Baylor (44-14)
*Teams that are playing today (Sunday, May 27).
By virtue of being awarded a regional, all 16 host institutions have also been selected to the 64-team championship field.