Clemson has final exams this week, which makes it a light week with regards to athletics. There are no games. Practices still happen, but they are abbreviated and sometimes called things like “voluntary workouts” or “open gym” or some other similar stuff. It can be restful for media types, especially after another hectic month of November.
Side note: Seriously, December should be The Clemson Insider Appreciation Month for you readers out there. Covering multiple sports at the same time is tedious and time-consuming, not to mention emotionally draining. I have both radio and print obligations for multiple sports, and it ain’t easy. What Robert and Will and Gavin and these interns have to do to put out the quantity of quality content you consume on a daily basis is mind-blowing. Shoot them a thank you at some point this month. Trust me, they’ve earned it.
Anyway, back to the original point: It’s finals week on campus. I thought it would be fun to do a little Clemson football final exam on the radio this week, with gift cards for correct answers from listeners who called the show. The whole process took some time, but it was a blast, and the audience seemed to really enjoy it. I’m thinking it went well enough (and that I’m just enough of a nerd) that it might become a tradition on my show.
We had nine questions, one for each segment, with nine prizes. That’s a lot of material, but we had to scratch some of it. That got me thinking: What can I do to make sure people see the questions that didn’t make the cut for the show?
Luckily for me, not everyone who reads this website listens to Out of Bounds (although you should, because it’s pretty awesome), and even if you do, you’ll have a head start…until we get to the questions that weren’t included in the show. It’s time for the TCI Clemson Football Final Exam.
Some formatting notes: There are 15 questions, plus a bonus question at the end. The questions will all come first, with an answer key down below. Some require multiple answers, some have multiple parts, and there are no true/false questions, because I hate true/false questions.
When you get done, go check out the post with the link in The Rock and let me know how you did. I wrote the questions, so it’s hard to say how I would do, but suffice it to say I would’ve had a hard time passing this test without cheating. I hope you find this recap of the season fun, informative, and entertaining. Let’s begin!
- Against which team has Wayne Gallman rushed for at least 100 yards three different times?
- Against which ACC team has Deshaun Watson accumulated at least 300 yards of total offense three different times?
- Artavis Scott is currently tied for fifth in ACC history with 240 career catches. Which other two former Tigers are also on this list?
- Clemson is one of two teams ranked inside the nation’s top 15 in both total offense and defense. Name the other team.
- With this year’s 56-7 win over South Carolina, Clemson now boasts the two largest margins of victory in history for an ACC team against an SEC opponent. Which team has the third-largest margin?
- Deshaun Watson currently ranks second among active players in career touchdown responsibility with 109. Which Big 12 quarterback is first?
- List the nine Clemson players who were named first-team all-conference by the media.
- Deshaun Watson is one of six 3,000-yard passers in the ACC. Name the other five.
- Wayne Gallman is one of five 1,000-yard rushers in the ACC. Name the other four.
- Mike Williams is one of four 1,000-yard receivers in the ACC. Name the other three.
- This year, Clemson has converted 51.5% of its third downs. That ranks second in school history. Which quarterback with a connection to this year’s squad led the team that holds the record of 51.6%?
- This is Dabo Swinney’s sixth consecutive ten-win season as Clemson’s head coach. Only one former Clemson coach has had more than one ten-win season in his tenure. Who is it?
- How many points has Clemson allowed in the first quarter this season?
- Over/Unders: 5 100-yard rushers? 10 true freshmen that have appeared in a game? 15 players that have scored a touchdown? 20 players that have at least one sack? 50 players that have made a tackle?
- In Clemson’s last meeting with Ohio State, the Tigers won 40-35 in the 2014 Orange Bowl. Which two former Tigers caught multiple touchdown passes in the game?
BONUS: Against Pittsburgh, Deshaun Watson completed 52 passes, second-most in ACC history. Which former Tobacco Road basketball player set the current record in 1995?
- South Carolina
- NC State
- Sammy Watkins & Aaron Kelly
- Georgia Tech (45-3 vs Vanderbilt, 8/31/2002)
- Patrick Mahomes, Texas Tech (115)
- Ben Boulware, Tyrone Crowder, Jay Guillermo, Mitch Hyatt, Jadar Johnson, Jordan Leggett, Cordrea Tankersley, Carlos Watkins, Mike Williams
- Jerod Evans, Louisville; Deondre Francois, Florida State; Lamar Jackson, Louisville; Brad Kaaya, Miami; Mitch Trubisky, North Carolina
- James Conner, Pittsburgh; Dalvin Cook, Florida State; Matt Dayes, NC State; Mark Walton, Miami
- Amba Etta-Tawo, Syracuse; Isaiah Ford, Virginia Tech; Ryan Switzer, North Carolina
- Steve Fuller (1978)
- Danny Ford (4)
- Over (6), Over (11), Over (18), Under (16), Over (51)
- Sammy Watkins & Martavis Bryant
BONUS: Rusty LaRue, Wake Forest (55)