Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney told ESPN’s David Hale today that wide receiver Deon Cain will enter the NFL Draft and will forgo his senior season at Clemson.
Swinney also told Hale that Clemson’s other underclassmen, defensive linemen Christian Wilkins, Clelin Ferrell, Austin Bryant and offensive tackle Mitch Hyatt are expected to talk to him in the next few days and their decisions will likely be announced by the end of the week.
Cain is the fourth underclassman from Clemson to declare himself eligible for the NFL Draft. He joins offensive guard Taylor Hearn, who made his announcement before the Sugar Bowl and safety Van Smith, who announced on Sunday.
Cain, a junior, also joins his fellow receiver and friend Ray-Ray McCloud in the draft pool. McCloud announced his decision to turn pro earlier in the week as well.
From the Tampa area, Cain was one of the more explosive playmakers in Clemson history, averaging more than 15 yards per catch. This past season, he tallied a career-high 58 receptions for 734 yards. He averaged 12.7 yards per catch and had 6 touchdowns.
For his career at Clemson, Cain caught 130 passes for 2,040 yards. He also had 20 career touchdowns which ranked fifth in Clemson history. His best game came against The Citadel this year when he caught 5 passes for 140 yards and had one touchdown.
During his freshman season, he caught 5 balls for 96 yards and scored on a 55-yard touchdown pass in the Tigers’ win over South Carolina in Columbia. He had two touchdowns on for 98 yards against Louisville in 2016, as well as 5 catches for 125 yards and two more scores against Syracuse that same season.
Cain averaged 17.1 yards per catch during his freshman season and scored five times, while he had nine touchdowns in 2016 and averaged 19.1 yards per reception. He 38 catches for 724 yards in 2016 and 34 for 582 in 2015.