Clemson looks to stay in the race for one of the final three remaining top four seeds in next week’s ACC Tournament when it hosts Florida State at Littlejohn Coliseum in Clemson tonight at nine o’clock. This will be the home finale for Clemson.
The Tigers (21-7, 10-6 ACC) need a win to stay pace with North Carolina, who is currently a half-game ahead of Clemson in the ACC standings. Clemson is also trying to fend off NC State, who is 10-6 in conference play and Virginia Tech, who is 10-7 after its win over Duke this past Monday. Miami is also 10-7 and is in the mix after its win over the Tar Heels on Tuesday.
The top four seeds get a two-day bye in the ACC Tournament and automatically qualify for the quarterfinal round. The ACC Tournament will be held next week (March 6-10) at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, N.Y.
Florida State (19-9, 8-8) at Clemson (21-7, 10-6)
Tipoff: 9:05 p.m.
Arena: Littlejohn Coliseum (9,000)
Radio: CTN (Don Munson-pbp; Tim Bourret-color)
TV: ESPNU (Anish Shroff-pbp; Jason Capel-color)
- Clemson is 31-41 all-time against Florida State and has lost four in a row in the series.
- The Tigers fell at Florida State in overtime earlier this season, 81-79.
- For the second time this season, Clemson overcame a double-digit deficit to defeat Georgia Tech and sweep the season series.
- The Tigers downed the Yellow Jackets 75-67 with the help of a 22-3 run after being down 58-47 midway through the second half.
- With a win, Clemson could clinch the program’s sixth season in which the Tigers have posted at least 15 home victories.
CU Series W-L record: Clemson is 31-41 all-time against Florida State.
Streak: The Seminoles have won four straight
- With a 75-67 win over Georgia Tech on Feb. 24, Clemson tied the program record for ACC regular season wins with 10.
- The Tigers have reached 10 league wins in the ACC on six occasions, including this season. Three of those six seasons have come under the direction of head coach Brad Brownell.
- Gabe DeVoe notched his third 25-point outing of the year and his second this season against Georgia Tech.
- With four more 3-pointers against Georgia Tech, Gabe DeVoe remains 11th all-time in the Clemson record book for threes in a career (152). He needs three more to tie for 10th.
- If the Tigers get the victory over the Seminoles tonight, Clemson would tie for the third most home wins in a single season with 15 (1979-‘80; 1986-‘87; 2010-‘11).
- In 2006-07 and 2013-14, three of the Tigers’ record 16 home wins came during postseason play in the NIT – so they achieved 13 in regular season play.
SCOUTING THE SEMINOLES
- Florida State is coming off a 20-point loss to NC State last Sunday.
- The Seminoles struggled to shoot the basketball in the loss to the Wolfpack. Top scorers Phil Cofer, Terance Mann, Braian Angola, and C.J. Walker made just 15 of their 38 shot attempts.
- Trent Forrest came off the bench to score 16 points against NC State. He also had seven assists and six rebounds. He has averaged 14.7 points per night over the last three games.
- Center Christ Koumadje was 6-for-6 from the field against NC State and scored 12 points.
- Florida State beat Clemson on Valentine’s Day in Tallahassee, 81-79, in overtime after overcoming an 18-point second-half deficit. The Tigers turned the ball over a season-high 21 times that night, including 15 in the second half.