Clemson will wear throwback uniforms tonight
It is 1990s night at Littlejohn Coliseum in Clemson today as the 15th-ranked Tigers take on Pitt at 7 p.m.
Clemson will be wearing its throwback uniforms worn back in the late 1990’s by Terrell McIntyre and company. Those teams went to three straight NCAA Tournaments.
McIntyre is now the Director of Player Development for the Clemson basketball program.
A Tigers’ victory will give Clemson 20 wins in just 24 games. That would be the third fewest games to reach 20 wins in a season in Clemson history. The Tigers won 20 games just 22 contests into the season in 1986-87 and it took just 23 games to get to 20 wins in 2008-09.
In terms of the calendar, a win over Pittsburgh on Feb. 8 would be the second earliest on the calendar that Clemson has reached 20 wins.
Clemson won its 20th game of the 1986-87 season on Feb. 4, 1987. The next earliest is Feb. 10, 2009 when Clemson became 20-3 under Oliver Purnell.
CLEMSON (19-4, 8-3 ACC) vs. PITTSBURGH (8-16, 0-11 ACC)
Tipoff: 7:05 p.m. ET
Arena: Littlejohn Coliseum (9,000)
Radio: CTN (Don Munson-pbp; Tim Bourret-color)
TV: RSN (Justin Kutcher-pbp; Mike Gminski-color)
- Clemson is 3-3 all-time against Pittsburgh.
- The Tigers have won three in a row in the series dating back to the 2014-15 season.
- All meetings have come since Pittsburgh entered the ACC, except for a 1958-59 meeting.
- Gabe DeVoe has now made five threes in three consecutive games – just the third player in Clemson history to accomplish that feat – joining Shawan Robinson (2006) and Michael Tait (1987).
CU Series W-L record: Clemson is 3-3 all-time against Pittsburgh.
Streak: The Tigers have won three games in a row.
- Clemson is ranked for the sixth consecutive week in the AP Top 25 poll (No. 16). Clemson is also ranked in the USA Today Coaches Poll at No. 15. The highest marks since Feb. 23, 2009.
- Clemson’s RPI checks in at fourth nationally.
- With a 75-67 win at Wake Forest on Feb. 3, the Tigers improved to 8-3 in ACC play for the first time since 1996-97.
- Gabe DeVoe earned his first-ever ACC Player of the Week award for his performances against North Carolina and at Wake Forest.
- DeVoe notched back-to-back-to-back games with five 3-pointers in wins over Georgia Tech (Jan. 28), North Carolina (Jan. 30) and Wake Forest (Feb. 3).
- He is also just the third player in Clemson history to achieve the feat in three consecutive contests.
- In the latest KenPom rankings, the Tigers are ranked Nos. 17, 11 and 33 in overall, adjusted defensive efficiency (94.5) and adjusted offensive efficiency (115.4).