By Hale McGranahan.
Amir Trapp wanted to ring in his New Year with a commitment to Clemson.
So, on New Year’s Eve, Trapp reached out to Dabo Swinney and let him know that he was ready to accept the greyshirt offer.
“I just thought it would give me something to look forward to in 2015, to get ready to go to Clemson,” Trapp said, during an interview with TheClemsonInsider on Sunday night.
The Shrine Bowl cornerback first-told TCI that he was committed to Clemson earlier that afternoon.
“I talked to Dabo…told him how I felt about going to Clemson and that I had the desire to commit,” Trapp said. “(Swinney) said that we would talk more about it when I go down to the official visit.”
Trapp will take his official visit to Clemson Jan. 16-18. The son of former Clemson cornerback James Trapp, who now serves as the school’s FCA Director, Amir will sign with Clemson in February but won’t enroll until January of 2016.
“The family atmosphere that it gives off is really great,” he said. “They have great competition at Clemson, along with the great education, so I feel like it was the best choice for me, and I’m just really excited.”
Trapp will join several former Daniel standouts when he arrives to Clemson in January, including Shaq Lawson, Adrien Dunn, J.D. and Judah Davis, D.J. Greenlee and Christian Groomes.
“It’s a great opportunity to be given,” Trapp said. “It’s happened, I don’t know how many times, I don’t know how many players from Daniel have been to Clemson, I think it’s around 12 now, something like that.
“I’m thankful and I’m going to make the most of it.”