Charleston (S.C.) 2019 running back Michel Dukes emerged on radars of Power Five conference programs as a sophomore last year, when he rushed for 2,262 yards and 38 touchdowns to lead First Baptist School to the AA state title.
Wake Forest pulled the trigger on his first offer in early June before Georgia State and South Carolina threw their offers in a week later.
Clemson is among several other major programs showing early interest in Dukes, who competed at the first session of the Dabo Swinney Camp from June 6-8.
This marked his third year at the camp, but it hasn’t lost any appeal to him.
“It was still exciting,” Dukes said. “Being with coach (Tony) Elliott and getting better and learning was a plus. The environment and hospitality was great, and the camp was fun. I learned a lot and got better.”
Dukes (5-10, 190) cited Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina, Ohio State and Southern Cal as some of the other schools he is receiving recruiting mail from.
Clemson running backs coach Tony Elliott expressed his interest at the camp.
“He thinks I’m a great player and told me that I can definitely play at this level,” Duke said. “He’s been recruiting me for three years and says that I’ve gotten better every year and he could tell through the film.”
What impresses Dukes the most about Clemson after his latest visit?
“To me, the relationship with the coaches, players, and the academics,” he said.
Dukes, who also stars on the basketball court, has been clocked around 4.5 seconds in the 40-yard dash and has a 36-inch vertical leap.
He camped at Georgia State, South Carolina and Wake Forest this summer as well.