The NCAA contact period began last week, so after winning a third straight ACC title on Saturday, members of top-ranked Clemson’s coaching staff started hitting the road this week to visit recruits.
One of the stops co-offensive coordinator Jeff Scott made on Tuesday was at Oakleaf High in Orange Park, Fla. There, Scott dispensed scholarship offers from Clemson to a couple of teammates who are considered elite prospects in the class of 2020 — defensive end Chantz Williams and offensive lineman Jalen Rivers.
The Clemson Insider caught up with Williams, who was excited to receive an offer from the defending national champions.
“It feels great,” he said. “This is one offer I was waiting for.”
Williams (6-4, 212) is just a sophomore but regarded as one of the country’s top pass rushers for his age. In nine games this season, Williams registered 50 tackles, 17 tackles for loss, 6.5 sacks, nine quarterback hurries, one forced fumble and a pass deflection. He owns double-digit offers, including ones from Alabama, Florida, Florida State, Georgia and Miami.
Williams was already high Clemson but said the Tigers made a move for him with the offer.
“They’ve definitely moved up for me,” he said.
What stands out to him about the program?
“I just love the way the players play and their motive to always want to win is stronger than most teams,” Williams said.
Williams and Rivers (6-5, 325) competed at the Dabo Swinney Camp last summer and both attended games at Clemson this fall. Williams said they are looking to return to Tiger Town after picking up the offers.
“I don’t know when but me and Jalen are going to be back to Clemson,” he said.
Williams didn’t name any other standouts in his recruitment and said he doesn’t currently have a timetable for his commitment decision.
He is ranked among the top 10 defensive ends and top 100 overall prospects in his class.